Goa’s premier University, 4 star accredition by NAAC in 2001, Great centre of Learning, Post Graduation, PH.D, B.SC, M.SC, Research Facilities Study India programme.
Goa University,the seat of higher learning in Goa was set up in 1985 and merged with the existing Centre for Post Graduate Instruction and Research (CPIR) of the University of Bombay (now Mumbai) that functioned at state-capital Panaji or Panjim. Goa University offers both graduate and post-graduate studies and research programmes. It is currently (September 2006) accredited to the NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) in India with a rating of four stars. It is located on the Taleigao Plateau. Goa University was established under the Goa University Act of 1984 and commenced operations on June 1, 1985. The University provides higher education in the Indian state of Goa.
Centre for education in Goa
Goa University is considered the centre for higher education in Goa, a former Portuguese colony and now India’s smallest state, which has only a single university for its population of 1.4 million people.
Gujaral-designed Architecture in Goa
Goa University was designed by painter, sculptor, muralist, graphic designer and architect Satish Gujral. However, there has been some criticism of the type of model he envisioned for Goa University, considering that the coastal state receives a high amount of rainfall ever year and his structure might have not been the most suited from the climatic point of view.
Location of Goa University
Goa University is built on a plateau called the Taleigao Plateau, located around five kilometres from the Goan state capital of Panaji or Panjim. It can be approached either via Bambolim to Dona Paula-Taleigao.
The Taleigao plateau overlooks the beautiful Arabian Sea and the picturesque Dona Paula shores, a former beach village now a tourist location.The University is also counted as one of the must-sees by many tourist guides, who route visiting tourists around this region.
Mandate of Goa University
Goa University says its tasks are:
- Providing higher education under various faculties to the State of Goa.
- Providing facilities for research in various fields.
- Providing degrees in various faculties to all the successful candidates.
Bachelor’s degrees by Goa University
The University is responsible for the bachelors’ level of education conducted by different colleges across Goa, and affiliated to Goa University.
The following are the non-professional colleges affiliated to Goa University:
- The Parvatibai Chowgule College, Margao, Goa.
- Shree Damodar college of commerce and Economics, Margao,Goa.
- Carmel College of Arts, Science & Commerce,Nuvem,Salcete,Goa.
- Rosary College of Commerce & Arts,Navelim,Salcete,Goa.
- St. Xavierâ€™s College of Arts & Science,Mapusa,Bardez,Goa.
- M.E.S. College of arts and commerce, Zuarinagar,Goa.
- DM’s College of Arts, S. P.Vaidya College of Science & V.N.S.Bandekar College of Commerce,Mapusa, Goa.
- P. E. S. College of Arts & Science,Farmagudi,Goa.
- Dhempe College of Arts & Science,Panjim,Goa.
- G.V.M.’s Shri Gopal Govind Poi Raiturkar College of Commerce & Economics,Farmagudi,Ponda,Goa.
- C. E. S. College of Arts & Commerce.Cuncolim,Goa.
- The Naval Academy,INS Mandovi. Veer.Goa.
- Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce,Sanquelim,Goa.
- Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce,Khandola,Goa.
- Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce,Quepem,Goa.
- Saraswat Vidyalaya’s College of Commerce & Management Studies,Telangnagar, Khorlim, Mapusa,Goa.
- X. E. S. Fr. Agnel College of Arts & Comm,Pilar,Goa.
- Government College of Arts & Commerce,Pernem,Goa.
- Shree Mallikarjun College of Arts & Commerce,Delem,Canacona,Goa.
- Zantye Brothers’ Educational Foundation’s Narayan Zantye College of Commerce Sarvan,Bicholim,Goa.
- Goa College of Home Science,D. Bandodkar Road, Campal,Panjim,Goa.
- Goa Dental College and Hospital,Bambolim,Goa.
- Goa College of Architecture,Campal,Panaji,Goa.
- Institute of Nursing Education,Old I.P.H.B. Complex, Altinho, Panaji, Goa.
- Devi Shreevani Education Society’s Goa Institute of Management Studies,M. S. College of Law Bldg.P. O. Caranzalem,Panjim,Goa.
- V. V. Mandal’s Institute of Management Training and Research,Govind R. Kare Road,Margao,Goa.
- National Hydrographic School,Vasco da Gama,Goa.
- I N S Hamla,Marve, Malad(W), Mumbai – affiliated to Goa University.
- S. S. Dempo College of Commerce & Economics,Altinho,Panjim,Goa.
- The following are the professional colleges affiliated to Goa University:
- V. M. Salgaocar College of Law, Miramar,Panjim,Goa.
- G. R. Kare College of Law,Margao,Goa.
- G. V. M.’s College of Education,Ponda,Goa.
- B. S. P. Gomantak Ayuveda Mahavidyalaya,Vajem,Ponda Road,Shiroda,Goa.
- Goa Salesian Society,Don Bosco College,Panaji,Goa.
- Nirmala Institute of Education,Altinho,Panaji,Goa.
- Shree Rayeshwar Institute of Engineering & Information Technology, Shiroda Goa.
- Goa Medical College,Bambolim,Goa.
- Goa College of Pharmacy, Panjim,Goa.
- Goa College of Music,Altinho,Panaji,Goa.
- Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour,Bambolim,Goa.
- PES College of Education,Farmagudi,Ponda, Goa.
- College of Engineering, Farmagudi, Ponda,Goa.
Post-graduate departments, centres of studies – Goa University
On campus, Goa University has 23 post-graduate departments and two centres of studies offering academic programmes which lead to the Masters and Doctorate (Ph.D) programmes across different disciplines. Similarly, the university also conducts post-graduate diploma programmes in select disciplines.
The university houses 12 faculties, under which different departments operate and offer masters or diploma programmes. The following are the faculties in Goa University and the different departments which operate under them.
- The Faculty of Language and Literature: The Departments of English, Hindi, Konkani, Marathi, French and Portuguese.
- The Faculty of Natural Sciences: The Departments of Chemistry, Computer Science and technology,Earth Science, Physics(Electronics), Physics and Mathematics.
- The Faculty of Social Sciences: The Departments of Economics, History, Political Science, Philosophy and Sociology.
- The Faculty of Life Sciences and Environment: The Departments of Botany, Bio-technlogy,Micro-biology,Marine science and Zoology.
- The Faculty of Commerce: The Department of Commerce.
- The Faculty of Management Studies: The Department of Management Studies.
- The Faculty of Medicine.
- The Faculty of Engineering.
- The Faculty of Law.
- The Faculty of Performing, Fine Arts and Music.
- The Faculty of Design.
New courses at Goa University
The master’s programme in biotechnology is supported by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Government of India. Degree programmes in Physical Education and Fire Technology have been added during the academic year 2004-05.
Four year B.Sc (Nursing) degree has been added during the academic year 2005-06. In addition, the Goa University has also launched a Portuguese language course through its distance-education DEITE in 2005-06. Goa University’s M.Com (Distance Education Mode) degree was launched in 2005-06.
Goa University Homepage: www.goauniversity.org
A wikipedia abstract.