Located in the Canacona taluka of South Goa, the Cabo da Rama fort presents a desolate spectacle of crumbling ruins. Also known as Cape Rama fort, this ancient bastion is steeped in mythological legends. The fort derives its name from Rama, the protagonist of the epic Ramayana, who, accompanied by his wife Sita took refuge here during his exile from Ayodhya.
Unlike many other forts in the state, the Cabo da Rama fort predates the Portuguese invasion of Goa. Possession of the fort changed hands many a time as dynasties fell and rose during the ages. In 1763 the Portuguese claimed the Cabo de Rama fort after defeating the Raja of Soonda and renovated it subsequently. The present ramshackle structure with turrets and rusty cannons is a remnant of the Portuguese.
Apart from scattered ruins here and there, the Cabo da Rama fort does not hold any attractions. Within its ramparts, the moated fort houses the church of Santo Antonio which is in excellent condition and is still in use. The western side of the fortress, where the cliffs drop sharply to the sea, provides a panoramic view of the surrounding areas.
Lord Rama and his wife Sita took shelter here during their 14 year exile. A chapel located inside the fort is still in use.
How to Reach
Cabo De Rama fort can be easily reached by hiring a taxi or a cab from any nearby place in south Goa. There is regular bus service from Margao to Cabo De Rama fort daily.